Friday, April 22, 2011

For Elise

I have been friends with a girl for years now... We used to be very close, and even though I only see her sporadically now, we still have a great time together. A few months ago I wrote a song about her, and 3 weeks ago I sang it to her...

We were sitting in her backyard and I had my guitar with me.
"Hey, do you want to hear a song I wrote?"
"Sure!"
"Okay; I don't know how to say this without it being awkward, but it's about you."
"Hmm... Okay."

I played the song for her, and I didn't screw it up too bad. After a moment of silence, she spoke up.

"So, that was really about me?"
"Yep..."
"That's cool. I liked it."

We talked about music for a few minutes, and I told her that I had been writing a string of songs about God and my relationship with Christ... And that I was ready for a break. I hadn't sat down with the intention of writing a "love song" before, so I decided to try that, not knowing where it would go... And it turned out to be about her. She was quiet for a few moments, then said "So you're telling me that when you're not writing songs about God, you're writing them about me?" I laughed and agreed with her. She then said "I like that."

And here is that song:

No comments: