Wednesday, August 25, 2010

ccm

There is something about Contemporary Christian Music (ccm) that has just never sat quite right with me. I don't know that it's even something that I can properly put into words... But it bothers me. I am painting a broad generalization here, as of course there are notable exceptions (a lot of Crowder's stuff, some Tomlin, etcetera). I guess it just doesn't feel... "real" to me. The songs that actually mean something to me are the ones that talk about how life is not easy, but God is there. The songs I can relate to sing about how there is a God out there who loves even a crappy, messed up person like me. I understand that sometimes we just need to praise God and thank Him... But most of my life is spent in the day-to-day mundane, and the garbage that comes along with it. I know some of this cynicism is due to my apparent inability to live with joy, but that's really not who I am. I had a long dissection and diatribe of and about ccm written, but I am going to delete that and just say... I am happy and thankful for honest, real music. Thank God.

No comments: